The last Hanoverian King George V was born on May 27, 1819 in Berlin ‘Unter den Linden’. The only child from the marriage of Duke Ernest Augustus of Cumberland (fifth son of King George III of Great Britain) and his wife Frederike von Mecklenburg-Strelitz, he spent his youth between Berlin and England. Due to an illness, George lost vision in the right eye at the age of nine, and due to an accident at the age of 13, he also went blind in the left eye. His parents left no stone unturned to help their son. But besides prac-tices like putting leeches on the eye, surgery also failed.
The personal union between Hanover and Great Britain ended in 1837. A female succession to the throne was excluded in Hanover. That is why George‘s father, Duke Ernest Augustus, ascended the throne in Hanover, while Queen Victoria was crowned in Great Britain. George became crown prince of the Kingdom of Hanover and his blindness became a political issue. King Ernest Augustus first had to create the legal requirements for his son‘s reign, which came into force in 1840 and heirs to the throne with physical ail-ments were no longer excluded from the succession.
In 1866 King George V lost the war against Prussia and went into exile in Austria. On October 3, 1866, Hanover became a province of Prussia.
The ceiling and wall panelling is made of oak. All floors on the first floor are original. There is a door in the window that leads to a surrounding balcony around the adjoining tower room. In 1865, the royal family spent a summer at the castle, which was still under construction. For this purpose, they moved into the rooms on the upper floor of the south wing
In 1839, Crown Prince George visited the seaside resort of Norderney and met and fell in love with Princess Marie of Saxe-Altenburg. The couple got married on February 18, 1843 in Hanover. In order to get married, George needed the permission of his cousin Queen Victoria of Great Britain, since he was listed in the British succession to the throne.
Hereditary Prince Ernest Augustus was born in 1845, followed by the Princesses Frederica (1848) and Marie (1849). In the first years of marriage, the crown prince couple took little interest in social life in Hanover and enjoyed a humble and withdrawn life. How loving the relationship was, was shown be the fact that Marie publicly called her husband Männi or my Angelic Man. He called her his Misi.
Crown Princess Marie still followed the protocol with her firstborn and left nursing to a wet nurse. But against the wishes of her father-in-law, King Ernest Augustus of Hanover, she nursed her daughters herself. In response, he excluded her from the royal table for that period.
The family spent nearly every summer on the island of Norderney, where they lived in a lodge specifically built for them, without court etiquette or protocol. To this day there is a Marienhöhe on the island, where Marie had a wooden pavilion built, and the Georgshöhe.
Princess Marie of Saxe-Altenburg, the eldest child of Duke Joseph and Duchess Amalie of Saxe-Altenburg, was born on April 14, 1818 and was given the name Marie Alexandrina Wilhelmina Catharine Charlotte Theresa Henrietta Louise Pauline Elizabeth Frederica Georgina. Marie was taught be the priest Carl Ludwig Nietzsche and in the Evangelical Magdalene Abbey in Altenburg.
Charity was a necessity to her. With the money she inherited from her grandmother, Duchess Henriette of Württemberg, she founded a deaconess house for Hanover in which the sick were cared for and deaconesses (nurses) were trained. The Henrietten Foundation still exists today.
Here at Marienburg castle, her Eldorado, as she called the castle, there was a direct access to a balcony in the chapel for her. Her prayer chair, that she used for prayers several times a day, was located there.
After the death of King Ernest Augustus in 1851, George succeeded him to the throne as George V. of Hanover.
The family picture that George commissioned was created by the court painter Friedrich Kaulbach in 1858. The painting of the royal family was shown at several German courts. As with other artists, the royal couple had a friendly relationship with the court painter Kaulbach. Marie and Georg often spoke of him jokingly as the high priest.
Both parents had a loving and intimate relationship with their children. Despite the courtly etiquette, the children were often simply treated like children.
In 1866, there was a conflict between Prussia and Austria, which Prussia could decide for itself. Hanover, which sided with Austria, was annexed and became a Prussian province. The only option left for the family was exile in Austria.
This room is a pure access room for the adjacent rooms. The wooden platform built in front of the window leads into the king’s salon. The arched wall, which serves as a room divider, is supported by four polygonal wooden columns and extends below the base of the flat barrel vault.
The King’s Salon, or blue King’s Room, originally had a royal blue wall painting that is no longer original. The light oak furnishings can be found in the ceiling, the parquet floor and the high wall panelling. A double-leaf window door on the south side leads to the polygonal balcony. The adjacent library served as a front and waiting room. The side rooms of the south wing are connected to the king’s salon by small stairs and serve as an access room.
The king’s library is dominated by the bookcases made of oak. A narrow board served as a book shelf. The room is interrupted by the wooden spiral staircase that leads to the next floor. On the walls, there is a pattern made from stencil painting, which alternately shows owl and three olive branches. Both are attributes of Athena, goddess of wisdom and can often be found in libraries. The glass roof has the shape of a glass house. The all-round false windows were adorned with diamond shapes, whose gussets were inserted with stylised sheets of coloured glass.
Bleiben Sie mit uns in Kontakt über unseren Newsletter. Kostenlos und unverbindlich.